19 August 2009

Of All the Rotten Luck

Long story short, photography has kept my mind occupied for the majority of the last ten days or so and as such I haven't written one word more to any of my "works in progress".

Last night, after I put in a new montior for my desktop PC I decided it was time to sit down and get some work done for the first time in over a week. So I pull out the laptop, sit down, open it up and get this message when I hit the power.

"Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

As soon as that came up on the screen my heart fell into my stomach and my stomach dropped somewhere around my left foot. I scrambled to grab my backup flash drive and slammed it into my desktop. Scanning through my folders I was heartbroken to find that I had not backed up my works in over a month. Which means unless I can recover my laptop's files I will have lost over 3 chapters of my Orwellian story (ie: EVERYTHING I'D DONE) and chapter 2 of my post-apocalyptic novel (not to mention a bunch of my photography stuff but it was 99% backed up on my desktop).

I know what I need to do to try and recover the information but right now I'm still weak in the knees over what I've lost.

Wish me luck.

No comments: