09 December 2010

Favorite Movies from 2010

Feeling an abnormal sense of tranquility at the moment and feel like taking a break from things so I decided to treat those of you who read this to a non-sequential list of my favorite movies from this year. Mind you I'm a red-blooded American male and not an elitist snob so I don't care if the movie ruined the source material or if it had socially redeeming values as much as I do if I was able to sit down and forget about how stressing reality can be for more than an hour as I lose myself to the show (just like when I read, go figure). So here's the list:

The Expendables.



More or less a straight forward homage to the action movies my generation grew up with and with many of the staple actors from those same films. Mindless, enjoyable fun. Bonus points for the appearance of the ultimate shotgun, the AA-12.












Predators



The first real sequel to the original film, I was surprised by how well I enjoyed Adrian Brody in an action role. Also scores points for the AA-12.

















Scott Pilgrim vs the World



Normally Michael Cera gets a tad under my skin but he works in this movie. The well written comedic dialogue and over the top martial arts with many video game overtones stole my inner geek's heart. Could have done without the mostly lame indy rock but it is what it is. Also scored major points for celeb-crush Mary Elizabeth Winstead in the female lead role. Bonus pic below because, its my friggin blog.


























Toy Story 3



Yeah I'm a dad and any parent worth their salt has seen this film but I honestly would have watched this sans kiddos because I grew up with the originals and it would have been damn near blasphemous to not finish the trilogy.













Robin Hood



Just loved the film, Robin Hood being a favorite story of mine for most of my life.














From Paris With Love




First movie wherein Travolta played the badass he's capable of in nearly a decade. Great action film.














Kick-Ass



Great action film, although I do have to say as a father of two young girls it was unsettling to watch a young girl slaughter people without a care.
















Jonah Hex



In spite of proving that place Megan Fox in any movie without the words "The" and "Transformers" in the title is a good way to insure a hit to your profits, I enjoyed this movie. I had hoped for a sequel but since it barely made a fourth of its cost back I don't see that happening ever. I love westerns, I enjoy supernatural elements and I have a love/hate relationship with steampunk and this film had all of the above.

1 comment:

Jaleh D said...

I do want to see Robin Hood and Kick Ass. The others, I don't know. Not much of a fan of Toy Story. But I love your comments on each movie.