14 December 2010

Facing Facts: Sometimes You Have to Pull the Plug

Tonight I have sad news to report.

I have decided to finally quit trying to squeeze blood from a rock and face the facts that a story I've tried for almost two full years to write just isn't going to work as I set out to write it.

Therefore its time to pull the plug on this tale. Now I wrote a handful of scenes and bits and pieces that I felt could be reworked into a new story but the plot and many elements, I see now, were never going to work out the way I had originally thought.

So at over 28 thousand words and after over 247 hours of work I regretfully am pulling the plug on this story in the hopes that a new, more engrossing and entertaining tale might rise from its ashes.

Goodbye old friend, your sacrifice will be remembered.

*Of course this is fairly tongue-in-cheek but I am a little bummed about how this turned out and a bit by feeling like I took to long to realize the deadend I had written myself into. Live and learn I guess.

2 comments:

Jaleh D said...

If it's truly dead, then you might as well let it be. I've got one story on the back burner that I may keep there permanently. There just isn't enough story there for anyone else but me to care about.

I hope that when the heat of the ashes wears off, you can find some way to recycle some of the good parts into some new exciting story or several stories, phoenix-like. Best of luck, friend.

Shad said...

I believe its truly dead. I just can't find a way out of the corner I wrote myself, or rather the characters, into. Its not because I've created a situation they can't escape from plausibly but rather because the story doesn't have that "something" that holds it all together. I could force my way through but it wouldn't be a worthwhile read no matter how much I myself might enjoy the story. So its definitely back to brainstorming a new direction for the characters that survived the torching, even the main character ended up with a tweak to his name.

Figured it was definitely time to face reality and drop the lame duck story and learn from the whole thing.