04 November 2009

Insomnia vs Creativity

A little known fact outside of my inner circle is that I frequently (read: almost nightly) have a really difficult time falling asleep.

The list of remedies is endless: excercise more, drink a glass of warm milk, try a small amount of alcohol, take a sleeping pill, don't drink soda/coffee after mid-afternoon, etc, etc.

I've tried most of the above (the ones I've avoided have namely been the ones involving ingesting anything) and have come to one conclusion.

I am naturally a night owl and given the chance my internal clock will shift to a "awake all night, into bed at 9 a.m." schedule.

The problem this creates is two fold, 1) my real job requires that I arrive in the hours immediately prior to the time when I'd most like to go to bed and 2) being up late and rising early to work every day of the week leads to an eventual zombie like stupor. Now for some the undead trance may be preferable but when you spend a good deal of your down time trying to be creative being half asleep (at least in my experience) is NOT a helpful state of mind.

Maybe this is just the mildly delusion ramblings of a sleep deprived mind but I'm really struggling these last few weeks to string together any sort of sentence that envolves story telling.

Writing like this comes fairly easy but attempting to craft a story has been all but impossible of late.

Which is why I've not updated this much in the last month because I feel guilty blogging when my work is being neglected.

Good night to all you sleepers out there, I'll be burning the midnight oil a touch longer. With luck maybe I'll be able to turn that flashing line on my screen into some prose before turning in.

1 comment:

Jaleh D said...

I feel for you, Shad. Best wishes for all your writing endeavors. I hope you can find some sort of workable medium, even if it isn't exactly "happy."